Happy Friday! Here's a roundup of events happening this weekend in Brooklyn:
Friday, August 16th:
- There are a lot of nerds gathering tonight for the Nerd Nite Global Festival at the Brooklyn Lyceum, which takes place throughout the weekend. Go and perhaps you'll learn something that might come in handy the next time you're on Jeopardy. Tickets start at $30. Brooklyn Lyceum, 227 Fourth Avenue; check website for schedule.
- Grab a bite to eat and support the Gowanus Canal Conservancy tonight at Dive in Gowanus. I'm getting hungry thinking about eating some Four & Twenty Blackbirds pie. Check website for participating organizations and locations.
- Participate in apple tree trimming in Brooklyn Heights. Free. Poplar Street Community Garden at Hicks and Poplar Streets, 1PM.
- Speaking of nerds, there's also ShakesBEER 2013, a pub crawl involving Shakespeare performances. Perhaps after a couple of beers, Shakespeare's writing might start to make sense? Tickets are $40. Check in begins at Mission Dolores, 249 Fourth Ave, at 2:30PM.
- The first annual Brooklyn Beer and Wine Festival is taking place in Bed Stuy. Tickets start at $15. 1428 Fulton Street, 1PM-7PM.