Happy Wednesday and happy July 4th weekend! We're taking the opportunity to head to Colorado this weekend, but for those of you staying here for the holiday, here's a roundup of events happening in Brooklyn:
Thursday, July 4th:
- Of course you want to watch people eat more hot dogs than you do on the 4th. Thankfully, Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest is taking place. Free. 91310 Surf Avenue, 1PM-3PM.
- If you'd rather listen to music this July 4th, then head on over to Rippers Rockaway Beach, where Sixpoint and My Social List are hosting "Back to the Beach," a family friendly indie rock concert. Free. Beach 86th Street and the Boardwalk, Rockaway Beach, NY, 1PM.
- Freddy's Bar is hosting a 4th of July Bar-B-Q, where you can even bring your own food to grill. 627 5th Avenue, 2:30PM.
- In case you don't want to fight the crowds to catch the Hudson River fireworks, you can head on over to MCU Park, where the Brooklyn Cyclones are throwing a free fireworks show. Free. MCU Park, gates open at 4:30PM.
- The Brooklyn International Performance Art Festival takes place this month, with the opening party on July 4th at Jack. $5 suggested donation. 505 1/2 Waverly Avenue, 6PM-10PM.
- Sad that you're not headed out of town this weekend? Well fret not, because Kinfolk Studios is hosting "Aloha Friday," a dance party that may make you feel like you've taken a trip to Hawaii. Free. 90 Wythe Avenue, 10PM.
- In honor of July 4th, Brooklyn Museum's Target First Saturdays is all about "Remixing the American Dream." Free. 200 Eastern Parkway, 4:30PM.
- Piper Theatre Productions presents "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" at The Old Stone House. Free. Old Stone House and Washington Park, 7PM.
- Theophilus London, Les Nubians and Aabaraki take the stage at the Prospect Park Bandshell. Free/$3 suggested donation. Prospect Park Bandshell, 7PM.
- Feeling guilty about all that food you ate on the 4th? You can burn it off at Zumba class at Brooklyn Bridge Park. Free. Pier 1 Promenade at Brooklyn Bridge Park, 4PM-5PM.